Looking for an apartment varies in every region, but it's nothing short of an Olympic sport in Chicago. So I wanted to share my tips that are the result of years of curating the perfect place; hopefully they can save you some time and hassle! Plus, some of my lust-worthy dream apartment features are below from some very stylish blogs.
- Stay away from a "garden unit", it's a nice way of saying "basement"
- Set your budget early for monthly rent, utilities, furniture, food and transportation
- When in doubt, keep the three P's in mind
- Price (rent, utilities, deposit, fees)
- Proximity to work (close to transportation, commute time)
- Profile of neighborhood (restaurants, nightlife, crime rating)
- Don't wait a second if you get a "this is the one" feeling; lock it down or someone else will!
- Make a list of what you're willing to sacrifice and what you must have in a place (you may need to compromise)
- Hang in there, because it's all worth it in the end to be at your home-sweet-home!